Thursday, October 15, 2009

3 Hours of Ice in 2 Hours Time

When people say that youth hockey coaches are dedicated, they usually refer to the countless hours put into working with players and doing their best to help them improve. But my goodness, I didn't realize it also entailed being in two places at once! Last night was definitely one of those hectic nights. It started with finding out that we couldn't end Bantam tryouts because a few new kids just registered, which means we need to give them some time to go through tryouts. Well, as coaches, you know immediately if you are going to take a kid or not, and we made that decision last night.

As I am getting ready to leave tryouts, we had two injuries within 30 seconds of eachother. The coach that was on the ice got a puck to the face (and ended up getting 9 stitches) and a player wasn't wearing his moutguard, and bit through his lip. Thank goodness for the good 'ol first aid kit! I have already used that baby 4 times in these tryouts, which is the most I've ever used it! Kinda stinks, though, that people get hurt in tryouts. What is funny, in a non-haha way, is that neither injury was because of rough play or an illegal action happening.

I left tryouts super early to go coach the Icebreakers scrimmage against the Xplosion. This scrimmage was a great way for me to see what we need to work on... zone coverage! I am not even going to touch on that, on-ice, until I feel comfortable that they have the individual skill to begin zone coverage. I have seen such massive improvement though on our first few practices that I am happy to say that these gals will do just fine when the games roll around.

I left that scrimmage 10 minutes early to go back to tryouts. Watched a few more minutes of it, and pretty much have my team down. Now it is up to the A coach to decide his team, and then I will take care of mine. A lot of the boys keep talking about the "Breezy Point" tournament, so whoever makes my team will definitely enjoy themselves up there. Tryouts WILL be complete by Tuesday night, and teams picked then.

Ahh yes, the life of a coach :)

1 comment:

  1. A good post on Life of a Hockey Coach
    I did come across a websitehttp://www.gotoaid.com/. It’s has all information on first aid emergencies. It has information on Human emergencies and even for pets like cat or dog. Hope it help you guys too.


    Signature: Online First Aid Kit

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name when commenting.